You want to provide newsletters for your customers?
Email marketing means reliably sending targeted newsletters and other mailings and directly measuring the success of the campaign.
Mass mailing of newsletters is either done using in-house professional software or you use specialized online providers who do everything for you conveniently, legally compliant and reliably (outsourcing).
In most cases, it is not advisable to use your normal email program and email account for this purpose.
An overview of the procedures
maximum 50 addressees
- Bulk mailings (more than 50 addressees in a short period of time) via your normal web/email provider are usually contractually prohibited. This can lead to termination without notice or contractual penalties.
- Expensive legal mistakes happen quickly, e.g. with data protectionGDPR).
- If you accidentally end up in a SPAM filter, your own email address is often temporarily crippled.
- Even if the temptation is great: don’t do it. You could be cutting corners at the wrong end.
Small to medium quantities
- Lots of know-how, lots of help, ready-to-use design templates and configurators. Good support for questions.
- Easier compliance with data protection hurdlesGDPR), e.g. double opt-in procedure for newsletter registration and good protection of lists from hackers.
- The order data processing agreementGDPR) required for outsourcing is usually available there at the push of a button.
- Mostly good value for money with normal newsletter volume.
Very large shipping quantities
- The use of special in-house software requires a lot of know-how for this very complex matter.
- You usually need special contracts and paid permissions from your ISP/email provider if you do not use external senders but your own mail server.
- Pitfalls are, for example, the exact compliance with all tight legal and contractual conditions, the technically correct implementation in order not to be filtered as a SPAM sender and the often quite complex setup and operation of the software.
- In comparison, in our opinion, acquisition and management are only worthwhile from a large frequency and range or special requirements, such as linking with internal CRM or content management systems.
In the vast majority of cases, we recommend using an external email sender. When choosing the right provider, look for security and data protection (e.g. a dispatch server in Germany), reliable dispatch, protection against spam filters, convenient management of your address lists and newsletters, and optimal evaluation options for your e-mail campaigns.
We took a close look at the most important providers (including SendinBlue, MailChimp (USA), CleverReach, CleverElements).
At the moment we prefer SendinBlu: they have good references and fit our list of requirements perfectly.
There are, of course, a number of other good privacy-compliant services. However, we have no experience / cooperation with them or had found too big hurdles when testing such systems (dealbreakers) or they did not match 100% our internal requirements catalog.
However, as this market is constantly evolving, we keep an eye on alternatives.
Link to the topic: t3n.com/news/e-mail-marketing-providers
How can the TBA-Berlin support
Should you decide to use SendinBlue, we will be happy to support you
- when setting up the account,
- linking to your website via plug-ins, widgets or custom programming, and
- Test mails to get to know the system.